What Is The Neti Pot?
The Neti Pot
The Neti Pot is a ceramic or plastic pot that looks similar to a tea pot and originally comes from the Ayurvedic/yoga medical tradition. It has been used for thousands of years in ayurvedic medicine to alleviate sinus and allergy problems and may bring relief of sinus symptoms without the use of medications.
The Neti Pot cleanses and protects the nasal passages, against illness and can be used to treat a variety of symptoms including sinus irritation from allergies and environmental irritants as well as alleviating congestion, facial pain and pressure.
The Neti pot works by thinning out mucus, keeping the nasal passage moist, clean, and healthy. Research has shown it to be an effective way to relieve sinus symptoms. Using the Neti pot can be as routine as brushing and flossing your teeth.
I have included a short video presentation below to show you exactly how to use The Neti Pot.
- Remove excess mucus due to congestion
- Rids nostrils of allergens
- Cleanse the nasal membranes of dust, smoke, or other airborne contaminants
- Relieves nasal dryness
- Improves flow of breath
Types of Neti Pots
- Ceramic-Made with food-grade glaze and certified lead free is my personal favorite (but obviously they are fragile)
- plastic- I would not use plastic (same reasons as plastic water bottles)
- copper- My second choice and some oriental schools say it has some medicinal advantages but also sharp edges and eventually will break.
- stainless steel- Sometimes can rust if not cleaned properly
Does the Neti Pot Really Work?
If you’re one of the millions of people dealing with sinus problems, you know how miserable facial pain and clogged nasal passages can be. I have used the Neti pot for years myself and have found it to be very effective. I highly recommend trying it for yourself, and see if you get the relief I did- it has also been recommend by ear, nose, and throat surgeons around the world.
PS: I hope you enjoyed this article- If you have any questions or want to leave your own personal comments, join the conversation below, I want to hear your thoughts on the Neti Pot!
To your sinus relief,
–photos courtesy of wiki commons