10 Foods Not To Eat
Is What I’m Eating Killing Me-10 Toxic Foods Not To Eat-
In the not too distant past, you could grow your own produce, raise your own animals, or go to the local market and purchase groceries without much issue.
Nowadays not so much. Today our produce when grown commercially is loaded with pesticides, fungicides, and who knows what else, because most of the time it doesn’t have to be included on the label -just like GMO’s.
So am I saying this just to alarm you? No, well er yes! We all should be alert to the fact that what we are eating these days is not the same food our grandparents grew or ate, some not being food at all!
Their Food Was Their Medicine
What we call organic free range today, our ancestors called food, and their food was their medicine.
At the turn of the century and before, meat and produce came from family farms and small markets, food was fresh, and preservatives (excluding salt) were not widely used. There were no processed foods or fake foods, and our grandparents diets were nutrient dense, allowing them to get the nutrition they needed from their food. They ate according to their body’s needs, and these habits actually increased their health.
If they got sick, they rested, drank liquids (soups) and let food be their medicine. When they recovered they spent lots of time outdoors.
Remember at this time food was not yet treated with additives, antibiotics and hormones to help preserve shelf life. Their food was valued for its medicinal properties, and usually nothing ever went to waste. Also the land was not contaminated with pesticides, insecticides and other chemicals, and the soil was nutrient dense, not depleted.
Our forefathers out of necessity grew their own produce and raised their own animals on small family farms, an early form of permaculture. Whereas now both single crop produce farming methods, and mega-industrial animal factory farms (CAFO’s), which focus on profit and efficiency at the expense of the animals’ welfare, have all but eliminated the small family farms, and wrecked havoc with our health.
Our grandparents did not have all the answers, however they understood that health starts at the end of the fork, what they consumed impacted their health, and how long they lived. And this is still true today.
Your body is affected by what you eat.. If your nutrition is inadequate, the integrity of each cell, tissue and organ in your body will soon suffer.
Foods To Absolutely Avoid
- Trans-Fats- An industrial process that adds hydrogen to liquid vegetable oils to make them more solid. This process creates what is known as trans-unsaturated fatty acids, or trans fats, and the primary dietary source for trans fats in processed food, is partially hydrogenated oils. (Trans fats raise your bad cholesterol just like saturated fats, but they also increase inflammation and lower the good cholesterol that protects us against heart disease).
- Anything fried or battered– Pies and pie crust, cake mixes and frosting, pancake and waffle mixes, non-dairy creamers, most pastries, biscuits, and crackers- Find gluten free, all organic instead.
- Vegetable Oils, shortening and margarine– Highly processed vegetable oils are not the health food that you were lead to believe- Use organic butter or coconut oil as your first choice. (see my special report)
- Table Salt– Use Himalayan mineral salt instead.
- Soy Products– 95 percent of soybeans grown in the US are genetically engineered (GE). Many studies have linked unfermented soy to malnutrition, digestive distress, immune-system breakdown, thyroid dysfunction, cognitive decline, reproductive disorders and infertility -even cancer and heart disease.
- Artificial Sweeteners and white refined sugar– Aspartame and other artificial sweeteners can stimulate your appetite, increase carbohydrate cravings, and stimulate fat storage and weight gain. Try organic honey
- Processed Meats– Which contain growth hormones, antibiotics and other veterinary drugs. Raised in deplorable conditions that promote disease, these meats are also filled with sodium nitrite and other chemical flavorings and dyes. Processed meats increase your risk of cancer, especially colon cancer, and no amount of processed meat is “safe.” Try organic grass fed and finished instead.
- Cereals- Cereals are packed with sugar and heavily processed grains.
- Tilefish, shark, swordfish and king mackerel-Methylmercury is a neurotoxin that can be harmful to the brain and nervous system when a person is exposed to high levels of it. It is found in most types of fish, and in some fish in much higher concentrations.
- Genetically modified food-75 percent of the food in grocery stores is genetically engineered or contains GM ingredients. Corn and soybeans top that list. The harm to your body caused by GM products is no longer debatable.
Note* Most fruits and vegetables are loaded with pesticides. Can you pick out which ones in the image below to avoid commercially grown? If not, here are some of the highest risk, so make sure to buy or grow them organically. Fruits –Apples, Grapes, Peaches, Strawberries, Nectarines….
Vegetables –Cucumbers, Spinach, Kale, Celery, Collard Greens, Cherry Tomatoes, Hot Peppers, Potatoes, Bell Peppers, and Summer Squash.
Guidelines for Health
Choosing to eat only organic or locally grown produce, from either your local farmer, grocery or a farmer’s market, will go a long way in protecting your health. The following are some simple guidelines.
- Only eat food grown without pesticides and chemical fertilizers, and not genetically engineered- Organically grown preferred.
- Select animal products that contains no added growth hormones, antibiotics, or other drugs and were not raised in a factory farm (CAFO), free range vegetarian fed only.
- Do not use artificial anything, nor any preservatives.
- Choose produce that is grown in a sustainable way.
PS: I hope you enjoyed reading this article, and please don’t hesitate to share it with friends and family. Join the conversation and let me know of your thoughts on Toxic Food. Share your stories below, and join me on other interesting articles at healingbodyandmind.org
To your good health,